Tuesday, November 06, 2007

My "maybe i'm alone here" music review

Puscifer: V is for Vagina


So there's a guy by the name of Maynard James Keenan who has created bands such as Tool and Perfect Circle, and has now released an album under the group name "Puscifer." That last sentence may have driven most people away from the following, which is a shame....

I was a fan back in the day of Tool, but never really gelled with the band Perfect Circle, so for the most part this guy had all but fallen off my radar until the other day. When I drive to work in the morning I typically listen to the local NPR station, or "the last of the famous international morning shows with Joe Escalante on indie 103.1." To my surprise, not only was the interview I caught of Maynard interesting, but I really liked the single they played. Very rarely on one listen to one song do I run out and buy the album. (9.99 on itunes or at best buy.) I have to say, I've really been digging this album ever since Halloween. The music is layered, intricate, moody and he has created some amazing aural landscapes that make my ears tingle. I'd even go as far as to say that about 3/4 of the songs on here would make a good album to throw on when you're...you know, gettin' down. The only bad part of this whole thing is the kind of sad attempt at an album name, "V is for Vagina," and the general sophemoric attitudde used when creating an icon like the big breasted demon chick thing above... Its been said by many that this is Keenan's playground, and a place for him to experiment and not filter... is that really all he could come up with? It makes the album seem unapproachable or childish to many and that means they may never pick it up. Perhaps that's his goal? I'm not sure here. Even the name is a lame conglomeration of the words Pussy, Pascifier, and Lucifer.... please...

From Wikipedia: [Puscifer's original name was Umlaut, "a premiere improvisational hardcore band." The name "Puscifer" was first publicized as a fictional band in the first episode of Mr. Show, including Keenan and Adam Jones as members. Jones is not associated with Puscifer otherwise, although artwork by Jones has been featured on Puscifer apparel (the "Your Mom's a Bitch" shirt, specifically.) Keenan describes Puscifer as "simply a playground for the various voices in my head," "a space with no clear or discernible goals," and "where my Id, Ego, and Anima all come together to exchange cookie recipes."]

It's a great album in my book, even though many hardcore fans have turned on their heels and are running away from this album of Keenan's. If you haven't heard it, you can stream it on their website and see if perhaps you'd like it. Maybe you'll think i'm nuts for digging this kind of music, or perhaps you are one of those die hard fans who has already fled... This project is not some poppy, sappy, gummy album that everyone would, should or could like. Let me know what ya think!

Here is the possibly NSFW music video for the first single "Queen B"

No comments: